Saturday, September 22, 2007

Poetic Proof that Fouts Should Increase His Meds.

Friends and Lovers.
M. Fouts

The bird is gone and you are not
the sky, and you are not the words,
and I am not writing them down.

     this morning she
    perched on my roof,
    reminding me of the wish
     I couldn’t make.

or allow myself to think about,
or the words I don’t have
to describe it. When she

     perched on my roof,
      she reminded me of you.
     I couldn’t make
     the words to describe you

or the way she looked at me just
before she spread her soft feathers
and wheeled into a too big sky.

     She reminded me of you
     because I don’t have
     the words to describe you
     without the bird.

And now my roof and the sky are
empty like I am empty, like
this page is empty, and

     because I don’t have
     you, or the sky, or the words,
     without the bird,
     I will not write them down.

          2007

No comments: